How to get rid of insomnia? If every time you have to struggle to fall asleep, no matter how much you want it… If you regularly wake up in the middle of the night for a few hours … Let’s analyze the main tips and recommendations that psychologists give to the question how to cure insomnia.
What is insomnia?
Sleep disorders is a fairly popular neurosis that affects the emotional state of a person, energy, health and performance. Chronic insomnia is often the cause of serious health problems. However, small changes in your life and certain exercises can save you from anxious nights.
- Difficulty with falling asleep;
- Early awakening;
- Need for alcohol or sleeping pills to sleep soundly;
- Fatigue, drowsiness during the day, irritability or inability to focus on the working process;
- Periodic awakening at night.
Insomnia is a violation of sleep, when a person is not able to fully rest. As a result, he feels tired and irritable in the morning. Bear in mind that people need a different length of sleep. The degree of the disease is determined by the quality of sleep, well-being in the morning and time which is required to fall asleep. If you sleep at night for 8 hours, but if you feel fatigue and drowsiness in the daytime, then you can probably be diagnosed with “insomnia“.
Insomnia can also be a consequence of an incorrect lifestyle or bad habits. For example, lovers of caffeine or those people who experience stress on a daily basis are more likely to suffer from insomnia.
Still, there are great news – often a sleep disorder can be cured! And sometimes this can be done without taking insomnia pills.
Physiological and psychological causes of insomnia
Sometimes a sleep disorder has a temporary nature (only a couple of days). In such situations, the person is also experiencing temporary negative factors – stresses or strong unrest before some coming event. In other cases, insomnia is a persistent phenomenon which it is necessary to get rid of.
Sometimes the main reason of insomnia symptoms concerns the mental or physical activity of a person:
- Psychological factors that cause unpleasant symptoms: periodic depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, bipolar disorder, persistent stress;
- Medications that adversely affect sleep quality: medications for influenza or colds, including painkillers, alcohol, caffeine, corticosteroids;
- Some diseases: Parkinson’s syndrome, increased thyroid function, renal pathology, reflux (acidic), allergic reactions, severe persistent pain, asthma, cancer.
Insomnia natural cures
Before starting insomnia treatment, note that some of the things you do to defeat the disease can aggravate your health. For example, alcoholic beverages or low quality sleeping pills is not a method of restoring a healthy sleep. Also pay attention to the amount of coffee consumed during the day. Sometimes it is enough just to correct the negative habits, get rid of them for a healthy and strong sleep to return to you.
Instead of bad habits, it is necessary to introduce new ones into your life that will promote a sound and healthy sleep.
How to get rid of insomnia? Canadian Pharmacy tips:
- You should make sure that your bedroom is cool, quiet and dark. Increased air temperature, sharp light or the slightest noise can be serious reasons for lack of sleep. You can use earplugs, a mask for sleeping, a fan;
- Adjust the correct rhythm of wakefulness and sleep – try to fall asleep and wake up at the same time. This also applies to weekends;
- In the afternoon, a short sleep should be ruled out. Load yourself more;
- Avoid excitement or stress before bedtime. This includes physical exercises, conflicts or discussions, television, video games, computer;
- Do not use gadgets with bright backlight before going to bed;
- Try to exclude or limit to a minimum the consumption of caffeine, alcohol or nicotine.
Getting prepared to sleep
At night, certain structures of the brain synthesize melatonin, which helps the body regulate the correct rhythm of “sleep-wakefulness.” Melatonin is controlled by light, so a lack of natural light during the day can make you sleepy. At the same time an overabundance of dim lighting at night can suppress the production of melatonin and cause sleep disturbances.
To avoid such problems, follow these Canadian Pharmacy tips:
- Increase the time spent in the fresh air. Take breaks between working and spend time outdoors in sunlight, try not to put on sunglasses and open the curtains during the day;
- Limit artificial light at night. To increase the production of melatonin, turn on dim lamps, cover the windows in your bedroom, avoid sharp light and turn off television, smart phones and monitors. If there is no way to darken the room, you can use a special eye mask.
How to get rid of insomnia?
“How to cure insomnia?” – Canadian Net Mall often meets this question from the clients. Of course, the more difficulties you experience due to sleep, the more it starts to invade your thoughts. You can be afraid to fall asleep, because you are just sure that you will have restless sleep for many hours. Perhaps, you worry because you have a hard day tomorrow, and if you do not sleep for eight hours, you are sure to spoil an important presentation at work. Waiting for difficulties with sleep only aggravates the situation with insomnia, excitement fills your body with adrenaline, and you can not fall asleep as long as you think about it.
How to have a good sleep and rest?
If your fears interfere with the ability to relax at night, there are some Canadian Net Mall methods that can help in this.
You need to follow some requirements:
- The bedroom is intended solely for sleeping. Do not watch TV, do not work, do not use gadgets. The goal is to establish clear associations of your bedroom with rest and sleep;
- If sleep does not come, do not stay in bed. Do not try to fall asleep violently – you can only increase anxiety. Stand up, go to another room and, for example, read a book, drink a cup of warm, soft tea, take a bath or turn on soothing music. When you feel that a dream comes back to you, go back to bed;
- Remove the clock from the field of view. You will be upset, nervous and worried even more when you see how many minutes you spend without sleep. It is necessary to do everything to exclude alarming states;
- The fight against insomnia is doomed to failure if you constantly feed it up with your negative thoughts.
How to cope with the shift work schedule?
Night work or an unstable schedule can ruin a sleep and provoke insomnia symptoms. But you have the opportunity to limit the negative impact by practicing a healthy lifestyle, and following Canadian Pharmacy advice that is presented below:
- Adjust your rhythm “sleep-wakefulness” – turn on bright electric lamps or fluorescent lamps in working conditions. When you go home, wear high-quality glasses that protect your eyes from sunlight;
- Spend less time on the road to the office – it takes away the hours of your sleep. The more time you spend on a trip home, the harder it will be to fall asleep after work;
- Avoid frequent changes in the work shift schedule;
- Make your bedroom light and quiet. Use special curtains or a mask on the eyes, turn off the phone, turn on soothing music during a day’s sleep.
If you can not sleep at night, the simplest thing you can do is take best sleeping pills from Canadian Net Mall, but this is not a way out, as the medicine will not eliminate the very cause of insomnia and in some cases only exacerbates the problem. In any case, before taking any strong sleeping pills, it is important to consult a doctor.
There are many types of sleeping pills, as well as dietary and herbal supplements that stimulate sleep. Some of them, such as herbal teas from chamomile and melissa, are mostly harmless, while others can have a lot of side effects.
Make sure you buy sleeping tablets from a reliable pharmacy, such as Canadian Pharmacy, which offers high quality sleep medications over the counter: SleepWell, Doxylamine, Tagara, Anexil and others.
When should I visit a doctor for insomnia treatment?
If you have already tried the above mentioned pills and methods to combat insomnia and still have difficulty with sleeping, you need help of a psychologist or another specialist in sleep disorders. Seek professional help in the following cases:
- Insomnia does not respond to a self-help strategy;
- Sleep disturbance causes serious problems at home, at work or at school;
- You experience severe insomnia symptoms, such as chest pain or shortness of breath;
- Insomnia comes almost every night and progresses.
Before visiting a psychologist, you should undergo a medical examination. Your doctor either diagnoses an organic disease or a neurosis. In the second case (if insomnia is caused by a mental factor), you should start working with a competent psychologist or psychotherapist.